Sunday, February 8, 2009

Quick Walk Through Huntington Central Park


After the rain, seemed like a nice day in the park. Just a few scattered clouds.

It was a nice break after the rain. Sunny skies and scattered clouds. I drove over to Huntington Central Park. Hoping yet again to see the Cedar Waxwings there. I was hoping to hear bagpipes (see A Little Bit of Scotland in Huntington Central Park), but no luck there either.




Birds flitted through the undergrowth and the trees overhead as I came in through the Gothard entrance. But no Cedar Waxwings. I heard a loudly calling Red-Shouldered Hawk and located him in a tall eucalyptus tree.


Western Bluebird male.

I saw something flying down from a tree and back up like a flycatcher almost. But not a flycatcher of any kind. It was a Western Bluebird. They are back. Time to check out the parks for these little brightly colored birds.




Male Western Bluebird in the foreground. Female Western Bluebird behind him.

They were being very cooperative.


Cassin's Kingbird

Saw a Cassin's Kingbird doing much the same.



I saw something moving up a tree trunk and thought it was a woodpecker. Instead I saw an Audubon Yellow-Rumped Warbler.







There were Audubon Yellow-Rumped Warblers all over the park.



Cassin's Kingbird

This was a very active Cassin's Kingbird.





Cassin's Kingbird



Ominous, dark storm clouds.

I never did see any Cedar Waxwings. I met another bird/nature photographer. Finally, the dark clouds rolled in. I had no desire to get soaked, and I headed back to the my car. Birding between rain showers can be fun, but this looked like a real storm. Have fun birding in Orange County!






Home - Index - Contact - Shop - Ask the OC Birder Girl - OC Birder Girl Videos

No comments: