Sunday, October 12, 2008

Whistling Wintering Wigeons Are Back

Carr Park in Huntington Beach

I went to Carr Park in Huntington Beach with the goal of seeing if American Wigeons had returned. They disappear sometime in Spring to go to their nesting grounds. Neighborhood ponds had become very boring without the wintering waterfowl. Just Mallards and American Coots.





Canada Goose


I saw lots of Mallards, American Coots, and Canada Geese.



Mallards



I looked carefully and saw no American Wigeons.



Keeping an eye on me.



Strange-looking Mallard-Muscovy hybrid?


I saw some strange ducks, but no American Wigeons.




And lots of Mallards.


Then I heard it. I thought. Was that a American Wigeons whistle?




Male and Female Mallard.



I carefully scanned the lake and the edge of the lake. Nothing.




One lone American Wigeons.


I saw one at the far side of the lake. But then I heard more and more whistling. I kept walking around the lake. Then as I rounded the corner, there they were.




American Wigeons at last.





At last. American Wigeons have returned.




Now it really feels like fall. I have missed these whistling Wigeons. The few months without them made the lakes feel really tame. Next on the list of fall and winter migrants: Northern Shovelers and Red-breasted Merganser. The stray Eurasian Wigeon . Who says we don't have seasons in Southern California?



OC Birder Girl Links to Other Parks with Lakes



Greer Park Lake View



Huntington Central Park



Irvine Regional Park in Orange, California




Mason Regional Park



Tewinkle Park -- Costa Mesa

Birding Hot Spots in Orange County, California

Bird Walks and Nature Programs in Orange County



OC Birder Girl Links of Interest



American White Pelicans




Black-crowned Night Heron

Double-crested Cormorant




Eared Grebe

Eurasian Wigeon




Great Blue Heron




Great Egret



Green Heron




Mallards



Migration--The Pacific Flyway and Orange County



Northern Shovelers




Odd Ducks



Osprey

Red-breasted Merganser




Snowy Egret




Turkey Vultures

The Herons, Egrets, and Bitterns of Orange County



The Wild Ducks of Orange County



Orange County Bird Checklists






No comments: